Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Joe From Jacksonville

What gave me a chuckle about Joe Dougherty’s heart attack story was his lament over not getting the helicopter ride to the hospital for his cardiac catheterization procedure. Apparently the weather was bad so they had to cart him in the ambulance. I mean if you are going to have a life threatening event at least you sometimes get a helicopter ride.

A whirlybird ride wasn’t even offered in my case. I relate to my hospital transfer as a ride in the back of the truck.

Also, like a true football fan, Joe recalled getting into the ICU in time to catch the fourth quarter of the Steelers/Jets game.

“The Steelers beat the Jets, 20 -17, in overtime. IIRC, the Jets' kicker missed a potential game-winning FG late in the 4th, then another one in the overtime. I remember arriving in the ICU and the nurses getting me settled in the bed. I turned on the TV and saw the game was just going into the 4th quarter, so I got to see the best part of the game.

I also recall getting a little excited as I watched it (along with the arrival of my wife, daughter and other family), and apparently the monitor at the nurses station was indicating that my respiration was up (I was getting oxygen through a nasal fitting), so the nurse had to come in and tell me to relax a little.”

Anyway, he tells a great tale of his cardiac episode here and with a follow up about his ICU roommate here.

When I found his story I dropped him a note to find out how he is doing. It has been about two years since his heart attack and in his words “Things are going well with the old ticker. That was a scary day!”

Amen to that brother.

No comments: